Home Remedies to Prevent Gum Disease
Do it yourself home remedies and social media health hacks have become popular over the last few years. Gum disease is an infection of the bone and gum tissue surrounding the teeth due to the build up of bacteria contained in plaque and tartar. The bacteria can cause infections of the gums leading to loss of gum tissue and bone. Eventually you can develop loose teeth that may come out of your mouth. Seeing a periodontist regularly and getting professional cleanings is the best way to keep your gums healthy but these are home treatments you can perform to help save your teeth.
- Improve Oral Hygiene – Brushing, oral irrigators, and flossing your teeth at least twice a day can help remove plaque and bacteria from your mouth and reduce your risk of gum disease.
- Saltwater Rinse – Mix one teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm water and swish it around your mouth for 30 seconds. This can help reduce inflammation and irritation in the gums.
- Improve Your Gut Bacteria – Gut dysbiosis and leaky gut can have direct effects on your mouth. Using a probiotic, controlling GERD, and H. Pylori can help prevent gum problems.
- Eat Vitamin-Rich Foods – Eating foods high in vitamins B3, B6, B9, B12, A, C, and D can help improve gum health and reduce inflammation.
- Avoid Sugary Foods – Sugary foods can increase the risk of gum disease by promoting the growth of bacteria in the mouth.
- Quit Smoking and Vaping – Smoking and vaping are known to increase the risk of gum disease, so quitting can reduce your risk.
- Use an Electric Toothbrush – An electric toothbrush can help reduce plaque and bacteria by removing more plaque than a manual toothbrush.
- Use an Antiseptic Mouthwash – Using an antiseptic mouthwash can help reduce bacteria and reduce the risk of gum disease.
- Use Natural Remedies – Natural remedies such as tea tree oil, aloe vera, chamomile, and hydrogen peroxide can help reduce bacteria and inflammation in the gums.
- Visit the Periodontist Regularly – Regular visits to the periodontist can help diagnose and treat gum disease before it becomes severe.
If you are interested in more home remedies that you can do please contact us and schedule a consultation appointment.